A query will only touch those edge servers that fall within the regions of the network being queried and will automatically choose the relevant edge servers from those currently reachable.
Given that not all edge servers can be completely up-to-date at all times, goals can be set for a query to prioritise server selection in order to optimise a goal. For example, it may be more important for a query to return the latest data or the most complete data.
The goals that can be set for a query are:
- Fastest response time (minimal latency)
- Highest availability (maximum success)
- Most recent data (choose servers with least stale data)
- Most complete data (choose servers with most data)
- Balanced workload (choose least busy servers)